Subject: Re: 19990131 snapshot & color?
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/1999 11:35:18
On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 11:16:54AM +0100, drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de wrote:
> briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com said:
> > I'm using a mono VGA monitor right now, and at the beginning of the
> > boot, the text changes to a really faint grey.  What color is this
> > supposed to be, and why is it changing colors "for" me? I assume this
> > is wscons-related... What's going on, and why?  How can I change it
> > easily?
>
> One thing I don't understand: I was assuming that a VGA card
> emulates an MGA if a b/w display is connected. This means it
> uses another address range and interprets attributes shightly
> different (eg will be able to underline). This doesn't seem
> to happen in your case. Or is there something in-between, a
> grayscale display which looks like color for the software?
> Someone has a clue?

My impression is that the BIOS display type (usually called 'VGA/EGA' /
'mono' or something like that) (see i386/isa/nvram.h:NVRAM_EQUIPMENT)
is only intended as a hint to the operating system.

I think the display driver is supposed to choose (default) colors
based on it.

Perhaps wscons or vga(4) should have a MD hook to get this hint.

--
Soren