Subject: Re: Looking for system monitoring daemon
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/1999 16:54:23
Gunnar Helliesen wrote:

> I'm looking for a program that will log system activity and be able to
> report on historical data. For example:
>
> Maximum nuber of precesses observed and when
> Maximum usage of swap space observed and when
> Maximum number of open files observed and when
> ...pagefaults...disk i/o...interrupts.... and so on...
>
> I'd also like to see statistics on when is the busiest time of day,
> busiest time of the week and so on...
>
> Being able to look up a snapshot of the system at any given time would
> also be nice. Say that on a given time there was a lot of disk i/o going
> on, what else was happening at the same time?
>
> Does such a tool exist?

If you are looking for something that can do remote monitoring and can
live with a relatively rough granualarity (say every minute or every
5 minutes), you could probably build something up from the ucd-snmp
package from the NetBSD package collection, and perhaps mrtg (also from
the package collection) to graph the history.  I don't know of anything
"off the shelf".

Simon.