Subject: Re: Crashes in 1.3.3 indicate faulty hardware?
To: None <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/22/1999 06:50:28
Bernd Sieker <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de> writes:

> Hopefully the problem will go away.

Don't count on it.  I've found that this is almost always a faulty bit
of hardware somewhere.  For instance, even though there are more SIMM
slots on my motherboard, putting more than 128M in two of my boxes
will cause this to happen within a day or so of boot.

Many motherboards only cache up to the first N megabytes of RAM.  The
ones in question (my 128M-limited ones) cache the first 64M, I
believe.

I have another machine running happily on two 128M DIMMS, no problems
with memory at all.

--Michael