Subject: Re: 5 PCI slot Motherboard search
To: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@pimin.rockhead.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/17/1999 12:33:43
On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Paul Newhouse wrote:

> I'm a bit disappointed
> having heard good things about ASUS in the past.

Well, if it's any comfort, I've got a P5A with sound and a K6-II
350 that's serving as my main development box at the moment, and
I'm extremely happy with it. It's really fast at building stuff,
although that's as much due to the pair of striped U2W Barracudas
(on a 2940) as anything else. I am a little annoyed that it doesn't
do ECC at 100 MHz, but I'm still running it at that speed anyway,
because I want the L2 cache runnning as fast as possible.

I looked upon this as being cheap enough that I can just retire
the motherboard and CPU in six months to a year when things settle
down a bit more and the next generation of processors comes out.
(This is why I bought ECC PC100 RAM, even though the ECC doesn't
do me any good right now.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.