Subject: Re: PCMCIA modem causes lockup
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/16/1999 23:37:25
In message <19990214131523.A7224@pyy.jmp.fi>  Jukka Marin wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 11:09:58AM +0100, Stefan Grefen wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you mean SanDisk compact FLASH cards, perhaps?  They don't have
> > > any Vpp inputs at all.  All they need is +5V (or +3.3V) to the two
> > > Vcc pins (13 and 38 in the Compact FLASH connector).
> >
> > They do have them
>
> Ahem, sorry, but they don't. ;-)  See page 19 of CompactFlash Memory Card
> Product Manual (available from SanDisk).  No Vpp pins.
>
> I also measured a CompactFlash->PCMCIA adapter and sure enough, the Vpp1
> and Vpp2 pins on the PCMCIA side are NOT connected to ANY of the Compact
> FLASH side pins.

I meant the PCMCIA side so if this is not connected, the adapter-card is coded
for 3.3V (VS1 aka pin.43 is connectd to ground).

> > I guess I have to try again. Maybe the card reports it's 3.3 V card
> > and the chip prevents the 5V power on.
>
> The registers show that the 5 V supply to the card is ON - and still the
> Interface Status register (0x01) reads 0x0c which means both the card
> detect inputs are active (card detected), but "Power to the card is not
> on" (bit6 = 0).
>
> These are the register states I see on my TP310E:

> If you have a patch that works on your system, I'd love to try it on mine.
> I'm running -current of 990131 (the one with broken 'ps' ;-)

I guess I figured it out now. But to make it work we have to support the
CardBus bridge. There seems to be a standard called Yenta for at least
the basic registers. I started working on a pcb (PciCarbusBridge) driver.
It is not to complicated to support Pcmcia cards, and I get a CardBus
loaner so I can see if I can make it work. I don't see how CaradBus
can work in a dynamic way, because cards can have bridges and than
bus numbering falls flat on its face ... but we hopefully won't stumble
over this ... :-)

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       High Performance Research Center