Subject: Re: PCMCIA modem causes lockup
To: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/1999 13:15:23
On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 11:09:58AM +0100, Stefan Grefen wrote:
> In message <19990212220617.A2617@pyy.jmp.fi>  Jukka Marin wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 08:43:52PM +0100, Stefan Grefen wrote:
> > > I gues you have a PCI/cardbus bridge. AFAIK it doesn't turn on
> > > VPP to 5V automaticly like the PCIC chip does.
> > > If the card uses both as VCC the card is 'half' powered.
> > > This is a problem with scandisk's (flash memory) too.
> >
> > Do you mean SanDisk compact FLASH cards, perhaps?  They don't have
> > any Vpp inputs at all.  All they need is +5V (or +3.3V) to the two
> > Vcc pins (13 and 38 in the Compact FLASH connector).
>
> They do have them

Ahem, sorry, but they don't. ;-)  See page 19 of CompactFlash Memory Card
Product Manual (available from SanDisk).  No Vpp pins.

I also measured a CompactFlash->PCMCIA adapter and sure enough, the Vpp1
and Vpp2 pins on the PCMCIA side are NOT connected to ANY of the Compact
FLASH side pins.

> > When I insert a SanDisk card to my laptop, the PCMCIA controller
> > reports that "power is not ON" to the card, even though every control
> > bit is in the correct state.  Haven't had the time to do more debugging
> > for a few days..
>
> Current of a few weeks ago just hung on my Compaq (TI cardbus bridge).

Yeah, but I added debug messages to my kernel and saw the states of
multiple 82365 registers.

> I guess I have to try again. Maybe the card reports it's 3.3 V card
> and the chip prevents the 5V power on.

The registers show that the 5 V supply to the card is ON - and still the
Interface Status register (0x01) reads 0x0c which means both the card
detect inputs are active (card detected), but "Power to the card is not
on" (bit6 = 0).

These are the register states I see on my TP310E:

Interface Status (0x01):               0x0c (CardDetect1 | CardDetect2)
PWRCTL (0x02):                         0x90 (CardEnable | VccPower)
Interrupt and General Control (0x03):  0x40 (CardReset*)
Misc Control 1 (0x16):                 0x80 (InpAck (no effect for PCI))

If you have a patch that works on your system, I'd love to try it on mine.
I'm running -current of 990131 (the one with broken 'ps' ;-)

  -jm