Subject: Re: NCR problems
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/12/1999 23:14:19
Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi> writes:

> NetBSD 1.3.3, GENERIC kernel:
>
> sd0(ncr0:4:0): M_DISCONNECT received, but datapointer not saved:
>    data=43f9b4 save=43c6b0 goal=43c6d4.
>
> Is this serious enough to forget about using this disk and controller
> for real work?

It scared me right back to the (somewhat) broken Buslogic I had when
I first saw this.

The NCR can talk at 40MB/sec to the UW drives I have, the Buslogic
cannot.  But, the buslogic doesn't complain at 20MB/sec, where the NCR
did, in just the way you show.

> Also, what could make the disk to perform very badly (dd can read only
> 1.2 MB/sec)?  The disk is a 4.3 GB Micropolis (sorry) and I _think_
> it should be faster.

I have two SCSI and two IDE drives in my box.  I can read at 10MB/sec
from the IDE, and write at about the same speed.  The SCSI (according
to Bonnie) reads at 10MB/sec or higher, but only writes at 1.3MB/sec
or so.  Grr.  This is using Buslogic cards, 4.3GB Micropolis drives.

--Michael