Subject: Re: Anyone trying to use new sysinst, please read.
To: None <root@garbled.net, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/1999 08:56:51
    Date:        Fri, 5 Feb 1999 08:24:33 +0200 (EET)
    From:        Andreas Gustafsson <gson@araneus.fi>

  | There is also a third sysinst problem I havent PR'ed.  When using
  | sysinst in "upgrade" mode to upgrade

Oh yes, this just reminded me of something I wanted to ask about.

I installed one of the snapshots that had no X sets built on something
or other, and then wanted to use sysinst in "add distributions" mode to

Of itself, that worked fine - except that sysinst insisted upon fetching the
"mandatory" sets (kern, base, etc) from the 1.3.3 distribution, which was
exactly what I did not want to happen.

I would expect it to be fairly common for someone to decide to omit some
of the optional sets when first installing, and then come back and use
sysinst again later to add one or more that at first didn't seem as if they
would be necessary, but turned out to be ... even if reinstalling the
mandatory sets wasn't going to be harmful in that kind of case, it
certainly is wasteful.

So, could the "add extra sets" option please treat all sets as optional,
none at all as mandatory (if that hasn't already been fixed).

kre

ps: I don't understand why sysinst is being discussed on port-i386, is it
not intended to have a wider audience than 386 users?