Subject: Re: some performance ... (actually, nice(1))
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, woods@most.weird.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/05/1999 08:57:39
From: woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods)

> I also noticed that there was a *lot* more "nice" CPU being used than I
> expected would be, especially during such a CPU-heavy benchmark.

Did you mean that a background nice +19 or +20 job like an rc5des was
accumulating CPU time?

There are a few ancient scheduler bugs that affect ports with high clock
interrupt rates or systems with lots of nice(3)'ed jobs. The PeeCee, at
100 hz, is about 25 Hz into the problem area, but the problem is a lot
more complex than just cutting down the scheduler clock. I'm testing a
fix for this, mainly because alpha is 1024 Hz. :-)

	Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org