Subject: RE: Anyone trying to use new sysinst, please read.
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/04/1999 14:22:57
On 02-Feb-99 Tim Rightnour wrote:

> If you, or anyone else has problems with sysinst.. now is the time to speak
> up.. so I can get it fixed for 1.4.

This isn't necessarily a problem--more a recommendation/suggestion:

I semi-recently installed NetBSD 1.3.2 from CD onto a Toshiba (I think) laptop.
This laptop could have EITHER the CD drive OR the floppy drive connected, but
not both.  To make matters worse, they weren't hot-swappable.

I installed NetBSD on it by booting off of the floppy (the CD I had wasn't
bootable), letting it format and partition the drive, then aborted installation
and manually copied the kernel from the floppy to the hard-drive.  After
shutting down, swapping the floppy/CD drives, and powering back up, I was able
to complete the installation without further headache.

If sysinst copied the boot kernel, my install time would have been vastily
reduced.  I most cases, this kernel will simply be over written when kern.tgz
is extracted.

Then again, this may have all been a self-inflicted newbie-ism.

  /\---/\  Eric J Fox
 /  o o  \ mailto:eric@fox.phoenix.az.us
    \@/     "Of course it runs NetBSD."