Subject: ccd(4) fragility
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/01/1999 18:09:28
So I finally got a ccd configured and working, but not before managing
to panic my machine.  Lacking any clear instructions in the
documentation, and not really understanding how it was all going to
work,  I initially just newfs'd the individual components and combined
them into a ccd.  After mounting the ccd, I noticed that the size was
wrong (being the size of just one component) and realized that I
probably should have newfs'ed the entire ccd.  I tried to unmount the
ccd, and got a 'panic: bad dir', even though I had forgotten to do the
unmount as root, and should have gotten an operation not permitted...

So, two questions.  Is the documentation any better in -current (I'm
using 1.3.3), or was I just being particularly dense? :)  And has
anyone else noticed this problem and thought about fixing it?  Panics
are bad.