Subject: Re: Nearly flawless on my ThinkPad...
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/1999 10:52:18
In message <199901290610.AAA27444@guild.plethora.net>
          seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) wrote:
> 1.  No COM port probing.  Booted to Win '98, I see that the COM port is=

> IRQ 4, address 0x3F8 - right where it should be.  Under NetBSD (1.3.3),=
> don't see it - but I do sometimes assign irq4 to PCMCIA cards.
Hmm. It's possible to turn the COM-port off on my thinkpad. Maybe
Windows just overrides those settings so it can see it. (Just an
idea...)

> 2.  The machine hangs utterly if I remove my ethernet card.  It's fine
> if it never had one, but if it's seen the card, there seems to be no wa=
> out.
As I've read a few days ago in one of the netbsd-lists the implemention
of hot-swapping PC[MCIA]-cards is not finished yet.

Because of that I'm really surprised that NetBSD-current has no problem
to detect and configure my ethernet card at all if I plug it in my old
Thinkpad (380CSE) at run-time  ;-)
(But If I remove it the kernel just panics. :-/ )

> Overall a pretty decent laptop, although it wouldn't bug me at all if t=
he
> documentation were more complete.  The docs won't identify any of the p=
arts,
> and they don't really explain *why* 560k of memory is mysteriously unav=
ailable
> to the operating system.
Display memory? Shadowing of slow BIOS [Flash]-ROMs? On of those
PC-hardware mysteria?

Bye,
  Thilo.
--=20
Mir ist mein Signature entlaufen :-(. Wer es findet, sende es bitte an
Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE zur=FCck. Danke!=20