Subject: Re: Linux Sybase 11.0.3.3 can't create database under NetBSD 1.3I ix86
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/1999 08:13:38
In article <36B0C19C.9D63308A@cyberstation.ca> alicia@cyberstation.ca (Alicia da Conceicao) writes:
>--------------081932578E5C3B80772FB43F
>
>Yet another problem with a Linux product under NetBSD.  Too bad we can't
>get decent NetBSD commerical apps.  :-(
>
>This time, I tried the Linux port of Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise,
>version 11.0.3.3, under NetBSD, in the hopes that I can replace some of
>our overpriced Solaris Sparc stations, running both Sybase and Oracle
>applications, with cheap NetBSD ix86 machines.
>
>The Linux Sybase was contained within a AuSE Linux CDROM, and was in
>the horrible RPM format.  I run "rpm2cpio" on it, and converted it to
>a cpio archive, which I expanded from the root directory, expanding all
>of its contents into "/opt/sybase", with the exception of a few
>documentation files that were installed else where.  After that, I
>ran the "install.sh" script, and to be on the safe side, I did a
>"chown -R sybase.sybase /opt/sybase" to insure that the server has all
>the necessary permissions.  After that I ran the "install/sybinit"
>program, and configured a new server, as discribed in the
>"howto-ase-quickstart.html" documentation file.  The configuration
>went through perfectly, but after I attempted to:
>
>	"Execute the SQL Server Configuration now"
>
>I get many errors which I've attached to the end of this e-mail.  Has
>anyone else managed to get Sybase to run under NetBSD ix86?  Any
>comments or advice is greatly appreciated.  BYW, I will be attempted to
>run Linux Oracle today.  Wish me luck, it looks like I might need it.
>Thanks in advance.  Sincerely, Alicia.
>
>PS. Below is an except from the sybase logs:

You need to dig deeper... I.e. find which process is running, attach to
it with ktrace and figure out what it is trying to do. I don't think that
any of the database servers will work though because they use aio*() syscalls
which we do not implement. This is not why your install fails though.

christos