Subject: Re: X server crash/recovery
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/28/1999 15:23:24
You wrote (in your message from Wed 27)

 > >The X server saves the registers it uses and normally it should
 > >restore them upon exit (and should do so after a segmentation
 > >violation too. If it doesn't, it a bug).
 >
 > That's exactly what it does.

Do you have by any bad luck 'NoTrapSignals' in the ServerFlags section of
your /etc/XF86Config ? It would explain that.

Otherwise, I just tried killing a running XF86_SVGA server with a sig
11, it restored the text mode correctly. So either:

- the memory area holding the saved registers has been overwritten by
  the first bug, before triggering the segmentation violation
- there's a bug in the signal handling code specific to the XF86_S3V
  server. (If I remember correctly, that's the server you're using,
  right ?)
--
					Matthieu