Subject: Re: X server crash/recovery
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/28/1999 06:07:45
Hi,

I am runing a very similar setup: S3/Virge, NetBSD 1.3. I experienced the
exact same problem *running KDE*.  I normally use fvwm2, but several
months back, I thought I would give KDE a try. After a couple weeks, it
just died exactly as Steve described. Since I decided that i really liked
using fvwm2 better anyways, i didn't pursue it. However, I have absolutely
no problems running fvwm2.  I believe the problems lies in KDE (which is
really written for Linux). While I was running it, I was following the KDE
mailing list and I remember that there were a lot of problems running KDE
on *BSD systems.

Mark

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Space Case wrote:

> On Jan 27,  8:11am, Dave Sainty wrote:
> >Space Case writes:
> >> I have in my system a S3/Virge card.  About once a month, something bites
> >> the X server, causing it to coredump and leaves the console unreadable.
> >> (Unless I log in from another system and restart the server, but things
> >> don't come up quite right, then.)
> >>
> >> Is there any way of resetting the graphics, short of rebooting the system?
> >
> >Have you tried re-running the X server remotely?  It's probably a bug
> >if it doesn't reinitialise the video correctly.  (Either/or
> >X/pcvt/wscons/pccons...)
>
> Um, yeah, I thought I said that...  It'll bring up the X server OK, but
> KDE's settings are slightly hosed (no terminals autoload).  When I shut
> it down (KDE logout) I still don't get the console (PCVT) back -- it goes
> back to a messed-up screen.
>
> ~Steve
>
> --
> Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819
>
> Faith is the quality that enables you to eat blackberry jam on a picnic
> without looking to see whether the seeds move.
>
> Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly.
> It just happens to be selective about who it makes friends with.
> 	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>
>
> As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will always have its
> fascination.  When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be
> popular.
> 		-- Oscar Wilde

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!