Subject: Re: Crashes in 1.3.3 indicate faulty hardware?
To: None <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/27/1999 17:11:56
On Jan 27, Bernd Sieker wrote

> I sometimes get a kernel panic for no reason that I can see, I can not
> reproduce the circumstances that cause it.
>
> The dmesg output from the dump is this:
>

> vm_fault(0xf02a6000, f09b5000, 3, 0) -> 1
> fatal page fault in supervisor mode
> trap type 6 code 2 eip f0193837 cs 8 eflags 10206 cr2 f09b51fc cpl 0
> panic: trap
>
> Could this indicate a bad or unstable hardware configuration?

Well, I have a box which occasionnaly crash this way, even when it's
mostly idle (just running the rc5-des software). An identical box, used
the same way is rock solid. So I definitively suspect hardware for my problem
(these are cyrix p166+ based boxes with asus motherboard, edo RAM).
An extensive memory test for 3 full days didn't show any problems.
I changed the EDO for a 64Mb SDRAM module, this didn't solve the problem.
So there are many other things that can be bad (motherboard, cache, CPU, ...).