Subject: Re: AX.25 Amateur Packet Radio Protocol:wq!
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/27/1999 21:40:44
Bill Studenmund wrote

> On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Ernst J. du Toit wrote:
>
> > Please let me know if anything happens - I'd like to see some AX.25 activity in
> > NetBSD.
>
> Do you have any technical info on AX.25? Or know of web sites?
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

G'day,

technical info on AX.25 can be found on
http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/ax25.html

and an old linux ax25 kernel kit is available on
ftp://ftp.funet.fi:/pub/ham/unix/Linux/packet/ax25/ax25-module-14e.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.funet.fi:/pub/ham/unix/Linux/packet/ax25/ax25-utils-2.1.42a.tar.gz

There is an userland implementation called wampes-980727 which I
managed to compile and run. I haven't put it through its paces but
hope to do this in the next few days. A modified distribution
of the source files is available on

ftp://ftp.ping.net.au/pub/unix/ham/wampes-980727-netbsd.tar.gz

Linux has a large number of amateur radio and scientific
packages available which require kernel support and hence wampes will
not do the job. So back to the drawing board...

I've received a number of replies to my original query on the list and
perhaps those who are interested in this protocol join forces and get
a port of AX25 on its way. I am not a kernel coder myself, but I'm
sure that there is something I can do to contribute.

So if there are still some HAM's in the NetBSD community with an
interest in Packet Radio with some spare time, let's hear from you.
Maybe, we can find someone with a good knowledge on kernel coding who is
willing to lend us a hand and some guidance.

I would be willing to host a web-site and a mailing list
reflecting our activities in this project and do some coding,
well the easy stuff ;), if there was enough support for this project.

What do you think....

73 + 55
cheerio Berndt
(VK5ABN, DL5JR)