Subject: Tecra8000, pcmcia options, INSTALL & GENERIC in need of a hack
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Shepard <shep@lcs.mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/23/1999 00:52:11
I installed NetBSD-1.3.3 on a brand new Toshiba Tecra 8000 last week.
I had to do it by floppy because I couldn't get the kernel on the boot
floppy to drive the 3c589D pcmcia card.   Once I got kernel sources on
the box I was able to get the 3c589D working by building a kernel with
these options:

options         PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK=0xfdff
options         PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOBASE=0x400
options         PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOSIZE=0x080

(IRQ 9 is reserved for the system (whatever that means)
 but IRQ 10 is available for use.)

Within a few days the machine developed some apparently thermal
freezeup problems (even if running windoze and even if running the
bios setup screen (!))  so it got shipped back to the distributor as a
DOA.

(Unfortunately, I had not yet verified that an X11 server works on this
 machine before it started wedging up.  It has a NeoMagic 2200 based
 display, so that should be OK now that XFree86 supports these
 chips. But I didn't get that far... )

I expect a replacement to arrive sometime early next week.
Would someone be so kind as to build a NetBSD-1.3.3 boot floppy (with
INSTALL kernel) and a GENERIC kernel that has these three options included
so I don't have to shuffle floppies again?  (or is there something
obvious I could do that I'm missing?)

(All the netbsd machines that I have root access on at the moment are
 non-i386 boxes and building an i386 boot floppy seems to require that it
 be on an i386 box and be root.  And building a 1.3.3 kernel on a 1.3I
 machine is a bit of a nuisance due to config differences and compiler
 warning (with -Wwarnings-are-errors) differences.)

Which gets me to my comment appropriate for discussion on port-i386:

Perhaps there should be a way of getting these options set to values
typed in by the user at boot time, especially for the INSTALL and
GENERIC kernels.  Or, if there is already a way to do this (is DDB in
the INSTALL kernel?) perhaps it should be documented in the install
information, particularly for these options on i386 laptops.  (I'm
assuming that a general solution to avoid having to especially
configure kernels for these three options is unlikely anytime soon.)

If somebody wants to hack a GENERIC kernel and boot floppy together
that can do that, I'd be happy to test that for you next week.

			-Tim Shepard
			 shep@lcs.mit.edu