Subject: anyone else testing ELF on i386?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/22/1999 16:03:30
Hello,

I've been experimenting with Christos' cool ELF support for i386,
and was wondering if anyone else is playing with it.

I was able to build a full ELF toolchain, then rebuild all libs and
then build ELF versions of just about everything.  There are a few
problems, but I have a functional system with all ELF binaries.  I
can't build a kernel, but I wasn't expecting to.

There are a few things preventing me from having a fully self hosting
ELF environment. (only a few are critical)
	* kernel builds fail, assembler error on ".s" files
	* src/gnu/dist/ld/emulparams/elf_i386.sh needs ELFSIZE=32
	* src/sys/arch/i386/stand won't build
	* src/gnu/usr.bin/gzip/match.S doesn't link, C version works.

Nothing is a real problem, other than I would like to build an ELF
kernel if it is going to work.  Already it appears that there is some
kind of ELF support in the booter?

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.