Subject: Re: Toshiba Libretto and NetBSD
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/20/1999 21:20:39
   On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 05:53:40PM -0500, Brad Spencer wrote:

   > Hello...
   >
   > Has anyone successfully installed NetBSD on a Toshiba Libretto model
   > 110CT, a mini-notebook [or any model for that matter]??  Did the
   > experience go well??  Problems, etc... ???

   Worked fine on my Libretto 50.

   Caveat: The Libretto 50 requires at least the amount of memory in the machine
   as empty space at the end of the disk; this space must be *completely
   unallocated in the fdisk partition table*.  This required me to repartition
   and reinstall after I upgraded my machine from 16MB to 32MB.  I recommend
   simply setting aside enough cylinders at the end of the disk to handle the
   maximum amount of memory the machine can hold, when you originally install.

   Caveat #2: the Libretto 110 probably has a video chip which will require
   a commercial X server (various Linux/FreBSD binary-only ones work) to
   work well.  At least I believe that was true of the 100.  My Libretto 50
   uses a fairly commonplace CT65554, so this was not an issue.

According to the specs on the Toshiba site, it has a Neomagic 2160.  The
current XFree source would seem to support it in for that chip.  The 100CT
is listed among the machines that X server works on and the 100CT is
suppose to have the same video as the 110CT.

In any case, I was unable to actually touch one in my wondering about this
evening.  Thanks for the information.

	   "And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]