Subject: Re: Problems booting NetBSD
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/19/1999 09:47:56
well, I got it booted and running last night...  I had to use the Adaptec
1542B controller since the CP version kept screwing up.  Yes, its *definitely*
the PNP stuff, the boot kernel scans and finds "aha0" as x330, IRQ10, DMA7,
and then it goes on to the PNP stuff and it says "aha0" is x334, IRQ11, DMA5,
and so much for being able to use my drives.

Even w/ PNP turned off and the 1542B controller, though, which I re-jumpered
(from IRQ11,DMA5 - adaptec's defaults) to IRQ10, DMA7 to match the CP
controller (just for my sanity if nothing else) it wouldn't work until I set
my PNP section of the BIOS (PNP disabled already) to "manual" and told it that
DMA7 and IRQ10 are "Legacy ISA" instead of "ISA/PNP".

After I got the B controller working, I tried the CP again.. but the PNP still
screws it up...  so I went back to the B.

Anyways, I was up until after midnight last night loading the system, but I
did get everything loaded (including sources).  I might try building a new
kernel w/o the PNP... only because I'd really like to put the CP controller
back in.

anyways, thanks for the help everybody!

Pete Hufnagel
CaptnZilog@aol.com