Subject: RE: IBM ThinkPad with 3Com 3C589D
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Allen D. Ball <ball@impression-technology.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/13/1999 11:13:29

I have made it one step closer: I applied:

options         PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK=0x71ff
options         PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOBASE=0x2a0
options         PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOSIZE=0x060

to the GENERIC config file as suggested in the FAQ (thank you, David
Brownlee).  This resulted in the kernel successfully configuring the
interface.  However, I could not *use* the card (ping, telnet, etc don't
work).  Because I have a ThinkPad 560E (I'm not sure if my specific model was
addressed by the FAQ) and I also have an Adaptec 1460 SCSI card that would
cause that GENERIC kernel to hang, I adjusted:

options         PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK=0xf3df

which allowed the use of the SCSI card and ifconfig to work with the ethernet
interface.  But even after this change the network still didn't work.
Previously, I had configure a kernel to use the same IRQ, DMA, and IO settings
for all devices that Windows/98 reports when it boots on the same machine.  I
added the above changes to that kernel and in the end I am able to ifconfig
the ethernet interface and use the SCSI card, but I cannot use the network.

Anyone seen this in a 560E?  Any suggestions on how to figure out what is
*really* going on with the interface now that I can ifconfig it but not *use*
it?

Thanks for the help so far.