Subject: Re: Completely diskless operation?
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/06/1999 23:45:10
On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Simon Burge wrote:
> Ok, so they've thrown a nice new Pentium II 400 on my desk (with Windows
> 3.1 installed!), and I wanna play with NetBSD on it.  The problem is I

Windows 3.1?? Wow, that's weird :)

> What's the best way of going about this?  Building a compressed kernel
> on a floppy with "root on nfs"?

If you can put a few files on the hard drive, you could use dosboot.com to
boot a kernel from DOS... boots a lot faster than floppy :) However, if
you absolutely can't use the HD, a compressed kernel on floppy should
work.

My diskless kernel config has "options NFS_BOOT_DHCP" and "config netbsd
root on ? type nfs" (and file-system NFS, of course :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 23 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++