Subject: Re: BIOS and CD-ROM problems
To: Michael Santos <msantos2@home.com>
From: None <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/1999 15:32:55
msantos2@home.com said:
> WARNING: NVRAM century is 38 but RTC year is 98 WARNING: CHECK AND
> RESET THE DATE!
>
> on startup. Rebooting the computer results in the BIOS complaining
> about configuration errors and the time and date being improperly set.

The problem is probably that the clock code assumes that
the BIOS stores the century in a certain position in the
NVRAM. While this is true for most BIOSes, it is not a
standard (if we speak about standards in PC world...).

While an unexpected value at startup only leads to
this warning (but doesn't cause any harm), the current
century is written to the assumed position in CMOS on
clock adjustments.
If IBM has chosen to store some vital data there, the
BIOS might be confused.

I'd recommend to take the line with "mc146818_write"
out of arch/i386/isa/clock.c:resettodr() for now.

best regards
Matthias