Subject: Re: troubles with serial console support....
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/1999 00:56:30
On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> ...such that even if the
> system becomes irretrivably wedged it will still be possible to send
> syslog messages to the network...
> Using something like "rtty" or "screen"....
> ...imposes a potential bottleneck that's far more
> restricted than a network syslog server might be....

When I set up rtty, one of the major advantages was that it *doesn't*
use the network. You need an out-of-band connection to be able to
deal with broken or misconfigured networks and network cards
remotely.

> ...incorrect cabling or disabling of the "rtty" or
> "screen" host will present an equally bad situation to the server in
> question.

Don't use flow control and this is not a problem. The worst that
can happen is that you lose some console output.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org