Subject: Re: How to install NetBSD-1.3.3 with partition-id 169?
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/28/1998 12:53:12
fdisk will do the deed, but please make sure you've updated your
bootblocks first!  Older boot blocks won't recognize the 0x16a
partition ID, and will tell you that no operating system was
found!

(Speaking from personal experience)

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Alicia da Conceicao wrote:

> Ruey-Shyang Guo wrote:
> > The NetBSD-1.3.3's fdisk recognize partition-id 169, but 'sysinst' still
> > use old id(165) for install even I do 'fresh' installation. Can someone
> > tell me how to install with partition-id 169, especially use whole disk?
> > What's different between installation of whole disk and installation of
> > a slice include whole disk?
> > Thanks for your answer!!
>
> A better question might be how to change the sys-id of our currently
> running NetBSD slices from 165 to 169, in such a way as to not change
> our disklabel, slices (partitions), boot configuration, etc.
>
> Has anyone made such a program to harmlessly change our sys-id to 169?
>
> Thanks in advance.  Sincerely, Alicia.

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |