Subject: mount_null error message "null_node_create: already locked"
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/26/1998 01:51:45
--------------3A5F9E9458F595A850E3B5E3

Merry X-Mas:

I have a bootable disk with two slices, the first has Win95, and the
second has NetBSD.  The NetBSD slice is split into 3 NetBSD partitions.
The first is the root, the second is the swap, and the third is for /opt.
Unfortunately, I had to make the NetBSD partition very small in order to
make it BIOS bootable.

Because of the small size of the root partition, directories like /emul,
/home, /tmp, /usr, & /var had to be located in the /opt partition.
Rather then use symlinks (ie: /usr -> /opt/base/home), I tried to use
mount_null for these directories.

In my fstab, I have:

	/dev/wd0a       /               ffs     rw              1 1
	/dev/wd0b       none            swap    sw              0 0
	/dev/wd0e       /opt            ffs     rw              1 1
	/dev/wd0f       /dos            msdos   rw,-m=770       1 0

	/dev/cd0a       /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0 0

	kernfs          /kern           kernfs  rw              0 0
	procfs          /proc           procfs  rw              0 0

	/opt/base/emul  /emul           null    rw              1 0
	/opt/base/home  /home           null    rw              1 0
	/opt/base/tmp   /tmp            null    rw              1 0
	/opt/base/usr   /usr            null    rw              1 0
	/opt/base/var   /var            null    rw              1 0

As stated in the mount_null man page, these directories from the /opt
filesystem are mounted into their appropriate root locations (mount
points), on top of the root filesystem layer.

When I use mount_null, as stated above, I get desired effect, and it
works great, with hopefully less overhead than using symlinks.

Unfortunately, even though mount_null works, it generates tons of error
messages stating:

	null_node_create: already locked

What can I be doing wrong?  Any advice as to efficiently map directories
from one filesystem to another, without using symlinks is greatly
appreciated.  I am using ix86 NetBSD 1.3I.

Thank you in advance.  Sincerely, Alicia.
--------------3A5F9E9458F595A850E3B5E3

begin:          vcard
fn:             Alicia da Conceicao
n:              da Conceicao;Alicia
org:            Cyberstation Inc.
adr:            121 Richmond Street West, Suite 1104;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5H-2G4;Canada
email;internet: alicia@cyberstation.ca
title:          VP of Technology
tel;work:       416-860-9378
tel;fax:        416-860-9380