Subject: Re: ISA attachment for ESS 1869?
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/24/1998 21:27:46
On Wed, Dec 23, 1998 at 02:24:32PM -0600, Dave Huang wrote:
> My laptop has an ESS 1869 sound chip in it, but it doesn't show up on
> the isapnp bus (which is strange; I thought they had built-in support
> for ISA PnP). So, I'm wondering if an ISA attachment would work... is
> anyone working on one?

Support for various ESS chips which emulate SoundBlasters or WSSen
was effectively removed when the "ess" driver (which only supports
the newer chips like the one on the Skark) was added to the i386 port.

Whereas these chips used to probe/attach with the isa or isapnp "sb"
drivers, now the get misprobed as "ess" and then fail when the driver
can't initialize them.

This would be easy enough to fix but I'm far from home so I can't do
it myself at the moment; perhaps someone else will?

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"