Subject: Re: OSS won't run on NetBSD 1.3I
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/23/1998 19:38:27
--------------C6CAC74BD46960321F5211EB

Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> > Is there any way to get a NetBSD 1.3I kernel to support these 1.3.2 calls?
> > Backwards compatability is very important for commercial software support.
> I've not looked to closely at the the symbols that are undefined
> with the OSS driver, but I suspect that it uses parts of the VM system
> that it that was never part of the "official" VM API.
> Maybe they are trying to allocate dma-able memory?
> I'm curious, which feature(s) of the OSS driver is it that
> you are missing in the NetBSD audio driver?

16 bit stereo audio support for my ESS 1879 audio chip.  Currently I can
only get 8 bit audio with NetBSD, using its 8 bit (3.01 dsp) sound blaster
emulation.  And since I cannot upgrade audio on laptops, I have no choice
but to go with a commercial driver in order to get decent sound.  Besides,
it looks like there is a lot of decent Unix audio software that supports
oss.  I would also gladly pay a few bucks for any who has a NetBSD driver
for my laptop's winmodem, that would allow me to use PPP.

Alicia.
--------------C6CAC74BD46960321F5211EB

begin:          vcard
fn:             Alicia da Conceicao
n:              da Conceicao;Alicia
org:            Cyberstation Inc.
adr:            121 Richmond Street West, Suite 1104;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5H-2G4;Canada
email;internet: alicia@cyberstation.ca
title:          VP of Technology
tel;work:       416-860-9378
tel;fax:        416-860-9380