Subject: OSS won't run on NetBSD 1.3I
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/23/1998 17:57:42
--------------50730D8DF116E564B2C028D5

Seasons Greetings:

According to 4Front Technology, the developers of the commerical Open
Sound System (OSS), changes from NetBSD 1.3.2's BSD VM memory architecture
to the NetBSD 1.3I's UVM memory architecture, prevent OSS from running.
The kernel calls that OSS uses are missing in NetBSD 1.3I.

Is there any way to get a NetBSD 1.3I kernel to support these 1.3.2 calls?
Backwards compatability is very important for commercial software support.
Below is what happens when I run soundconf:

luna:/opt/oss# ./soundconf
/opt/oss/oss.o: Undefined symbol `_PTmap' referenced from text segment
/opt/oss/oss.o: Undefined symbol `_kmem_free' referenced from text segment
/opt/oss/oss.o: Undefined symbol `_page_mask' referenced from text segment
/opt/oss/oss.o: Undefined symbol `_vm_page_alloc_memory' referenced from text
segment
/opt/oss/oss.o: Undefined symbol `_kmem_alloc_pageable' referenced from text
segment
/opt/oss/oss.o: Undefined symbol `_vm_page_free_memory' referenced from text
segment
modload: can't prelink `/opt/oss/oss.o' creating `/opt/oss/oss'
Cannot load OSS driver module.
luna:/opt/oss#

As always, any assistance would be most appreciated.  BTW, would using a
NetBSD-Current help over 1.3I?  Thank you in advance.  Sincerely, Alicia.
--------------50730D8DF116E564B2C028D5

begin:          vcard
fn:             Alicia da Conceicao
n:              da Conceicao;Alicia
org:            Cyberstation Inc.
adr:            121 Richmond Street West, Suite 1104;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5H-2G4;Canada
email;internet: alicia@cyberstation.ca
title:          VP of Technology
tel;work:       416-860-9378
tel;fax:        416-860-9380