Subject: Re: install/6625: The i386 install floppy overflows
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/1998 19:08:51
    Date:        Tue, 22 Dec 1998 00:56:16 -0500
    From:        "John F. Woods" <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>

  | Can the root filesystem be an ISO9660/Rockridge filesystem?  If so, then
  | the boot floppy image on the CD doesn't have to contain a ramdisk kernel;
  | it need only contain a kernel prepared to mount a CD as a root.

The problem with this approach is that it leads to CDs that only boot
correctly on one architecture (that, or a lot more work indeed).
It ought be possible to do better than that.   Maybe a chroot into an
archiecture dependent sub-dir of a 9660 filesys?

  | (I have a CD burner, and have even created a bootable 1.3H CD.

Same here - the CD I created will boot and install on i386 and sparc,
and if I ever get the energy to work out the details, it can probably be
made to boot on an alpha as well (all 3 seem to use different techniques
for booting, and I think all three can co-exist).   I have no idea about
the other architectures.

kre