Subject: Re: install/6625: The i386 install floppy overflows
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/1998 15:41:57
    Date:        Tue, 22 Dec 1998 01:05:21 +0100
    From:        Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no

  | It will produce one or more images named disk[1-9].fs.  These are
  | the new "ustar" format floppies, that enables use of multi-volume
  | boot media.

While people are working on how to make installation keep working as the
volume of data that seems to be essential rises, can some eye be kept on
install directly from CD (only) ... I don't know a lot about how PC boot
from CD works, but as I understand it, there's a floppy image on the CD,
which the BIOS manages to pretend is a floppy, and which it then uses to
boot.    I doubt there is much option in that scheme for changing the
floopy to a second one - everrything is likely to be required to be on the
one emulated floppy image (though I believe that 2.88M floppies images work).

kre