Subject: Re: USB, uhci0 can't map i/o space on Fujitsu FMV-Biblo MCVIII23, also internal modem
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/21/1998 13:29:22
>This is a bug in the BIOS in the machine.  It should have allocated
>an address for the USB the controller (according to the PCI spec),
>but it didn't and then NetBSD fails to initialize it.

I'm not sure this is the case.

In my reading of the PCI 2.1 spec, the BIOS is only required to do this
for devices that the hardware needs to boot.  Since USB isn't needed to boot,
that is perhaps why it isn't done.  Obviously the BIOS manufacturers
are providing the "Plug and Play OS" option for OS's that don't do the
right magic.

This brings up the next question - exactly what _is_ the right magic?
We should be talking to the PCI BIOS, right?  How come we aren't?

--Ken