Subject: Re: USB, uhci0 can't map i/o space on Fujitsu FMV-Biblo MCVIII23, also internal modem
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/21/1998 10:30:13
Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca> writes:
> >> Also, the internal 56 kbps V.90 does not detect properly, even with PNP.
> >> I get the following modem excerpt in my boot messages:
> >>      Rockwell Semiconductor Systems product 0x2015 (miscellaneous
> >>               communications, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 16 function 0
> >>               not configured
> > This means your modem is a PCI device, so you need "puc" configured
> > into your kernel.  Whether the puc device code actually works, I can't
> > say, since I don't have any PCI comm devices.
>
> Unfortunately, even with the kernel options "puc* at pci?" and "com* at puc?"
> options compiled into the kernel, no mention of "puc*" appears in the boot
> messages, and hense the internal modem is still unsupported by all of my
> NetBSD kernels.  Compiling up puc in the kernels resulted made no difference
> in the boot messages.
>
> Do you or anyone else have any ideas on what else I might try to get the
> internal modem working?

Yup:

"get documentation, and write a driver."

Sorry, but this modem (as many PCI card modems, many of which are
called 'WinModems' or similar things) appears to be just a DSP on a
PCI card, for which you need an awful lot of OS driver software for
them to do anything useful.

You might try gluing PUC to it, to see if that'd help (start by
turning the '#if 0's in pci.c to '#if 1's and bumping up your message
buffer size in your kernel config), but i honestly doubt it will.

If you e-mail me the configuration info spit out by your card, i can
probably send you back an entry that'd cause 'puc' to try to use it,
but, again, i doubt it'll work.

cgd