Subject: Re: USB, uhci0 can't map i/o space on Fujitsu FMV-Biblo MCVIII23, also internal modem
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/21/1998 12:28:17
--------------F975DB39D64ACE895C7207DA

Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>> And during boot, I get the following USB excerpt in my boot messages
>>      uhci0: can't map i/o space
> I got this error installing NetBSD on my Sony VAIO 505 when I had the
> BIOS option "Plug-and-Play OS" set to "Y".  When I turned it off, the
> USB host controller probed and attached correctly.

I can't believe it actually worked!  Setting the BIOS option
"Plug-and-Play OS" to "N" did the trick.  :-)  NetBSD 1.3I actually
managed to properly detect the USB stuff, as seen in the following boot
message excerpt below:

     uhci0 at pci0 dev 1 function 2: Intel 82371AB USB Host Controller
               (PIIX4) (rev. 0x01)
     uhci0: interrupting at irq 9
     uhci0: USB version 1.0
     usb0 at uhci0
     uhub0 at usb0
     uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub (class 9/1) (rev 1.00/1.00), addr 1

I can't wait to get to the office to try it out with my USB mouse.  Since
both the BIBLO, VAIO, and many other computers, have that BIOS option,
maybe turning it off should be mentioned in the FAQs and INSTALL
documentation.

>> Also, the internal 56 kbps V.90 does not detect properly, even with PNP.
>> I get the following modem excerpt in my boot messages:
>>      Rockwell Semiconductor Systems product 0x2015 (miscellaneous
>>               communications, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 16 function 0
>>               not configured
> This means your modem is a PCI device, so you need "puc" configured
> into your kernel.  Whether the puc device code actually works, I can't
> say, since I don't have any PCI comm devices.

Unfortunately, even with the kernel options "puc* at pci?" and "com* at puc?"
options compiled into the kernel, no mention of "puc*" appears in the boot
messages, and hense the internal modem is still unsupported by all of my
NetBSD kernels.  Compiling up puc in the kernels resulted made no difference
in the boot messages.

Do you or anyone else have any ideas on what else I might try to get the
internal modem working?

> It's a bitmask, where a 1 in bit n means that irq n can by used by the
> PCIC code.  It sounds like you want a mask of 0xfe00, so that only
> irqs 9-15 can by used.

Cool!  Now it all makes sense.  I can't believe that I didn't see it before.
Prehaps another entry to our NetBSD FAQ and INSTALL docs.

> I hope this helps.

Yes it all did very, very much.  Thank you everyone that responded so
quickly, especially Johnny.  Sincerely, Alicia.
--------------F975DB39D64ACE895C7207DA

begin:          vcard
fn:             Alicia da Conceicao
n:              da Conceicao;Alicia
org:            Cyberstation Inc.
adr:            121 Richmond Street West, Suite 1104;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5H-2G4;Canada
email;internet: alicia@cyberstation.ca
title:          VP of Technology
tel;work:       416-860-9378
tel;fax:        416-860-9380