Subject: Re: de0 driver
To: None <mikep@winddancenet.com>
From: Andreas Gustafsson <gson@araneus.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/19/1998 09:19:10
Mike Pelley <mikep@winddancenet.com> wrote:
> I have several machines with Kingston 100TX 10/100 cards with a Digital
> 21140A chipset running on a P2 233 with 1.3.2.
[...]
> However, if I unplug the Digital ethernet cable for a
> few seconds and plug it back in, the interface refuses to work until I do an
> ifconfig de0 down; ifconfig de0 up.

I have long been suffering from the exact same problem with an old
21040-based BNC/UTP Ethernet card which the de driver identifies as a
"SMC 8432BT 21040 [10Mb/s] pass 2.3".  This is also on NetBSD/i386
1.3.2.

The card works fine with 10base2.  With 10baseT it works only if the
10baseT cable is connected when the machine is booted and remains
connected all the time.  If I temporarily disconnect the cable, the
de0 interface will not resume transmitting when the cable is
reconnected.  When this happens, "ifconfig de0" shows the OACTIVE flag
being set:

  de0: flags=8c63<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	  media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP) status: active

I now have to say "ifconfig de0 up" manually to make interface work
again.  Saying "ifconfig de0 down" first is not necessary.

I don't have a fix, but I have found that I can work around the
problem by specifying the media type explicitly with "media
10baseT/UTP" on the ifconfig command line instead of letting the
driver autodetect it.

Someone ought to send-PR this...
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson@araneus.fi