Subject: X and -fno-strength-reduce
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: bill@psych.uw.edu.pl <bill@psych.uw.edu.pl>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/17/1998 01:36:22
hi,

   I've just built succesfully XFree86 and have one
little question.

In configuration file xf86site.def there is:

/*
 * The default optimisation flags for GCC 2.x.  -fno-strength-reduce is
 * here to work around a bug in -O2 for GCC 2.x on i386 platforms.
 * If you are using a version that doesn't have this bug, you can
 * uncomment the following line, and remove '-fno-strength-reduce'
 * If you are building binaries for a 486, it may be beneficial to add
 * -m486
 *
#define DefaultGcc2i386Opt      -O2 -fno-strength-reduce
 */

but for example in FreeBSD.cf which overrides xf86site.def:

/* The GCC strength-reduce bug is fixed for FreeBSD 2.1.5 and later */
#ifndef DefaultGcc2i386Opt
#if OSMajorVersion > 2 || (OSMajorVersion == 2 && OSMinorVersion > 1) || (OSMajorVersion == 2 && OSMinorVersion == 1 && OSTeenyVersion >= 5)
#define DefaultGcc2i386Opt -O2

NetBSD.cf doesn't have anything similar and I wonder why.
AFAIK FreeBSD 2.1.5 was released in the first half of 1996
and was using gcc 2.7.2.1 (?) .

Is there any reason to compile X at this moment
with -fno-strength-reduce
on NetBSD-current or NetBSD 1.3.x ?

thanks.

PS My xsrc,src,ksrc is -current from yesterday and
I'm using default egcs