Subject: Re: Ayone using Intel EtherExpress 16 ISA?
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/1998 22:20:10
On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Gunnar Helliesen wrote:

: I have an old Intel EtherExpress 16 ISA card that I've been trying to
: use with NetBSD. This is a 16-bit ISA Ethernet adapter with AUI and BNC
: connectors.
:
: I can't get the card to probe, I've tried 1.3.2, 1.3E and 1.3H. The card
: simply never shows up. I'd expect it to probe as ie1 on 1.3.2 and ix0 on
: later generic kernels.

I have similar problems on 1.3D and earlier; I haven't tried it on recent
-current.  I have three cards, two of which read "INTEL 8/16 LAN ADAPTER"
and one which says "INTEL ETHEREXPRESS 16" - both cards of which are nearly
identical electronically, down to the main control logic.  None of these
probe.

There's probably something in the detection code that is missing out on
these (I hazard a guess that at least the "8/16" adapters are much older
than the ones ix0 recognizes).