Subject: Would anyone please cut me a custom boot floppy? Please?
To: 'port-i386@netbsd.org' <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Pete Pinter <Pete.Pinter@TELUS.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/14/1998 14:29:11
Greetings!

Would anyone be kind enough to rebuild a GENERIC-1.3.2 kernel with the
config file changes as described below? I expect I'll also need you to
produce a boot floppy image file (boot.fs) from which I can get 1.3.2
bootstrapped in preparation for a new install.

This is to support my non-Standard IDE controller settings (See below for
background).

Change:
wdc0    at isa? port 0x1f0 irq 14
wdc1    at isa? port 0x170 irq 15
to:
wdc0    at isa? port 0x168 irq 10
wdc1    at isa? port 0x1e8 irq 11

I would be eternally grateful. Here's hoping my request is straightforward
enough not to consume anyone's time unduly. Apologies in advance if this is
not operative.

Below is some background information if it helps.

Thanks again and best regards,
/p2

--------- original posting to comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc -----------

Background:

My development machine (an original Intel Pentium 60MHz overdriven to
120MHz) has one IDE channel on the motherboard, which is incapable of
large drive support.

Disabling on board IDE via the BIOS and installing an ISA based Future
Domain IDE-16042 dual channel IDE controller has worked great for
years, under both Win95/NT4 (dual-boot).

Problem is, since my flea-bitten motherboard still latches IRQ 14
(known problem), I had to configure the 16042 to use IRQ 10 & 11
at addresses 168 & 1E8. As stated, this works fine for Microsoft OS's.

Problem statement:

How do I configure netBSD to recognize my non-standard (?) IDE
controller configuration during installation and subsequent use?

Neither netBSD, Linux nor Solaris 2.6 seem to support IDE controllers
at IRQ 10 & 11, and I'm desperate for a non-Redmondian alternative.

Any/all assistance, tips and insights greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
/p2