Subject: Re: Installing new boot blocks
To: None <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/11/1998 23:42:53
On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 11:16:47AM -0800, Paul Goyette wrote:

> What I really wanted to know is (1) is/are known issues with the
> -current bootblock code, (2) have I found some new problem (in which
> case, what info is needed tohelp get it fixed), or (3) if I did
> something wrong.  Your response implies that (3) is the wrong answer,
> which makes me feel less like a PC dummy.  :)
>
> So, is/are there known issues with -current bootblocks, or what info do
> people need to figure out my problem?

One problem was reported where BIOSes reported the presence of int13
extensions (which the bootcode now uses if present), but calling
them fails if the drive actually has < 1024 cylinders. Is this
the case with your system? What does your MBR look like? What
kind of BIOS do you have and now old is it?

- Frank