Subject: Re: Which raplayer ?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/11/1998 12:12:57
hwr@pilhuhn.de (Heiko W.Rupp) writes:
> I finally got a soundcard. I also got raplayer (iirc the liux 3.0 version).
> It plays fine the welcome.ra supplied, but on every other stream,
> it says "can't open audio device".

Both raplayer (3.0 Freebsd-static) and (rvplayer 5.0 Linux) work for
me with the eap driver.

Both programs do have the annoying habit of busy-polling some system
call and chewing up 100% of the cpu time.  Don't expect to get much
else done while running either.

This is the core of what I use to run it:

    RVHOME=/usr/local/rvplayer5.0
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$RVHOME
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    #
    # this pig uses 100% of the cpu!  At least nice it to all hell.
    #
    nice -20 $RVHOME/rvplayer "$@"

I also have a symlink between /dev/dsp and /dev/audio.  I do notice
that a "strings *.so rvplayer" does pop up two hits on /dev/dsp.
Maybe its only opening the dsp device on network connections???

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/