Subject: Re: Installing new boot blocks
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/11/1998 11:16:47
On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> You forgot to test the new boot blocks on a floppy, first. :)

Yeah - I just "assumed" that something as simple as a bootblock would
most likely work without problem.

> Once you succeed in changing the partition id, you won't be able to
> simply boot from the 1.3.2 floppy. You'll have to exit to the shell on
> the floppy, and change it back. Been there.

Yep - I figured that part out, too.

What I really wanted to know is (1) is/are known issues with the
-current bootblock code, (2) have I found some new problem (in which
case, what info is needed tohelp get it fixed), or (3) if I did
something wrong.  Your response implies that (3) is the wrong answer,
which makes me feel less like a PC dummy.  :)

So, is/are there known issues with -current bootblocks, or what info do
people need to figure out my problem?

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |