Subject: Re: Applixware on current
To: Gary Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/11/1998 01:28:25
--------------3ED3E775D98B0BA6D66F1B98

Gary Duzan wrote:
>    I've just installed Applixware 4.41 for Linux on NetBSD/i386-current
> (as of Dec. 4), and wanted to report on the results. Initially, I
> had the linux_SuSE package (v5.3) installed, but the axmain program
> got a segmentation fault before it even brought up a window, leaving
> axnet running in the background looking stupid. When I installed
> the linux_lib package, though, it came up without any problem and
> seems to be performing as expected.

I've been running the lastest Applixware 4.41 on NetBSD ix86 1.32 for
more than a month, and it runs great, also using the linux_lib package.

I am currently running it on my laptop, and I did come across a strange
bug that occurs when import Microsoft Office files.  It would appear
that the import utility is Java based, using the jre library that comes
with it, and that it requires a TCP connection to the hostname in order
to translate the documents.  Typically, on my laptop, my hostname
resolves to the name used by my ethernet card.  However, in order to
conserve battery and prevent crashes, I typically do a "ifconfig ep0 down"
to shut down the ethernet card.  When I do so, I cannot use the Applixware
Microsoft import filters.  I cannot figure out why a TCP connection to
ones hostname is required, and if it is, why "localhost" wasn't choosen
instead of the hostname.  This situation is made worse, if I have to
change my TCP/IP settings on my ethernet card, when I have to use my
laptop on another lan.

Alicia.
--------------3ED3E775D98B0BA6D66F1B98

begin:          vcard
fn:             Alicia da Conceicao
n:              da Conceicao;Alicia
org:            Cyberstation Inc.
adr:            121 Richmond Street West, Suite 1104;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5H-2G4;Canada
email;internet: alicia@cyberstation.ca
title:          VP of Technology
tel;work:       416-860-9378
tel;fax:        416-860-9380