Subject: Installing new boot blocks
To: #List NetBSD i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/10/1998 16:50:43
OK, I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out...
Y'all gotta keep in mind, I'm really an old Mac person, and only
recently have started trying to figure out this Intel world we seem
to be stuck in!  :)

I've got a Micron Millenium PC (P-II 450MHz) with only one disk, an
Ultra-ATA 8.4GB drive that probes as wd0a.  I've got nothing else on
the disk except for NetBSD - only one MBR partition that takes up
the whole disk.  disklabel says that it occupies only the first 302
cylinders, and fdisk reports the geometry as 16383cyl x 16heads x
63sectors.  (Of course, the DOS bootblock says there's only 1023cyl.)
The disk was built using a 1.3.2 sysinst disk.  And it has since been
updated completely to -current as of about 12/1 or 12/2.

So, here's the problem:

I'd like to get rid of the "old BSD partition ID" messages - the old
sysinst I used set the ID to 0xa5 instead of 0xa9.  So, I used
/usr/mdec/installboot to copy the newest bootblocks onto the disk, and
then tried to reboot.  The boot process found the new bootblock, and
even found /netbsd but as soon as it printed out the first number (size
of some part of the kernel image?) it displayed the "/" character but
never "rotated" it to "-", "\", or "|".  It just hung there.

Now I _know_ I've got absolutely -current biosboot.sym because I just
rebuilt it from today's sup and then tried again - same results.

Fortunately, I can repair the damage by booting from my 1.3.2 floppy and
using the installboot and biosboot.sym files from that.  But what did I
miss in the above procedure?

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |