Subject: Re: latest install floppy
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/10/1998 17:03:21
[ On Wed, December 9, 1998 at 19:14:42 (-0800), Matthew Jacob wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: latest install floppy
>
> I was only able to ultimately get NetBSD (latest snap) installed using the
> following method- all else just blew up in my face (sysinst core dumps) or
> whatever:

I didn't get any core dumps (that I know about), but neither could I get
sysinst from 1.3I (of approx Dec. 2) to create a bootable disk (on my
new P-II system with on-board Adaptec-7880 and brand new Quantum Viking
4.5GB drives).

What I ended up doing was running "fdisk -i sd0" and then re-running
sysinst.  That seemed to work just fine.

(BTW, I was using the fake BIOS geometry of 1024c/256s/63h, and I do
have the BIOS translation enabled for disks >1GB.)

I tried the same installation on sd1, and when I switched the bios to
boot from sd1 I still had the same problem, so now I've got nearly
identical disks, one which boots, and one which doesn't, but I've not
yet had time to compare them and discover the difference....

--
							Greg A. Woods