Subject: Re: NWSCONS fails to find keyboard on Dell Dimension XPS-R400
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
From: None <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/09/1998 19:54:06
jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us said:
> I've got a new Dell i386, which works fine with a pcvt or pccons
> console, but doesn't work with wscons.
>
> While probing the keyboard, it bails out printing
> 	kbc: kbd port test: fa indicating some oddity with the keyboard.
> Suggestions?  Is this a timing issue (fast processor?)

This is the selftest of the keyboard port. It fails
for some reason. On common keyboard controllers, valid
error codes are from 1..4 iirc, and mean something like
"{clock,data} line stuck {low,high}".
pcvt/pccons don't care to do the selftest, so this doesn't
occur. It doesn't look like a timing issue - the error
value should be -1 in this case.
Perhaps the keyboard controller wants to tell us something...
can you find out what type it is and whether documentation is
available?
0xfa is the keyboards (not the controllers) "command ack"
response. There was no keyboard command before, so there
should nothing be sent, but one can never be sure with
PC hardware. You could try to put
	/* flush */
	(void)pckbc_poll_data1(iot, ioh_d, ioh_c, PCKBC_KBD_SLOT, 0);
just before
	/*
	 * check kbd port ok
	 */
in pckbc_attach() (sys/dev/isa/pckbc.c) and tell if this
helps. Would be interesting to know whether this happens
with another keyboard too...

best regards
Matthias