Subject: Re: pciide and MPIIX
To: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/07/1998 20:28:12
Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu> writes:
> Does NetBSD support the MPIIX PCI IDE chipset?  On my laptop (a Thinkpad
> 560) I see the following (edited) boot messages:

I don't remember which intel PCI chipset it was, but one of them had a
name that would make a user think that it had a PCI IDE controller
function, but in fact it didn't.

looking at your dmesg info:

> pcib0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0
> pcib0: Intel 82371MX Mobile PCI I/O IDE Xcelerator (MPIIX) (rev. 0x03)
> wdc0 at isa0 port 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14
> wd0 at wdc0 channel 0 drive 0: <IBM-DTNA-22110>
> wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
> wd0: 2016MB, 4096 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4128768 sectors
> wd0: 32-bits data port
> wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2

are there any other functions on that device?  If not, it doesn't
report itself as a PCI IDE controller...  You might check the
datasheet to see if, in fact, there's a real PCI IDE controller
(i.e. one that conforms to the PCI IDE controller spec) in there.

cgd