Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD 1.3.2
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Scott Bartram <scottb@orionsoft.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/07/1998 23:16:35
On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no wrote:

> > The beta version of os-bs provided in
> > NetBSD-1.3.2/i386/installation/misc works fine for booting from a
> > secondary IDE drive _BUT_ it uses a couple of sectors in the first
> > track of the first disk so if you are keeping anything other than
> > Windows or DOS on that disk you need to make sure that the first
> > track is still unused.
>
> In particular, an NT installation would be unhappy if you installed
> os-bs on the drive where NT also lives and occupies the first part of
> the drive.  Yes, I've done this, and NT had to be reinstalled...
>
> I seem to remember someone talking about how one could use NT's boot
> manager to boot NetBSD, but I don't recall how.  If someone could
> please tell us the details about that, it would be much appreciated.

>>From: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>

1.) Copy a file with the first 512 bytes of your root partition to "C:".
    You can use a command like this in *single* user mode to create that
    file:

dd if=/dev/rsd0a of=bootsect.bsd bs=512 count=1

2.) Put the name of that file into "C:\BOOT.INI". The entry should look
    like this:

C:\BOOTSECT\BOOTSECT.BSD="NetBSD-i386 1.3"

scott
---
Scott Bartram
scottb@orionsoft.com