Subject: Re: WSCONS on i386
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@xensei.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/03/1998 14:17:57
Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com> writes:
> > Rumor is that wscons is still much slower than pcvt, though.
>
> I tried wscons a few months ago, and it was painfully slow.  When I
> switched from one virtual console to another, or flipped windows in
> "screen", repainting the display took a noticeable fraction of a second,
> whereas pcvt was as good as instantaneous.  Flipping between screen
> sessions on a remote host with pcvt (me -- pcvt -- local "screen" -- ssh
> -- remote host -- remote "screen") appeared subjectively to be faster than
> flipping between screen sessions on the local host with wscons (me --
> wscons -- local "screen").
>
> Have there been significant wscons speed improvements in the past 4
> months?

I wasn't using wscons 4 months ago, however I am using -current now,
and I am quite pleased with wscons' performance on my old 486.

Flipping screens is at least as fast for me if not faster than pcvt.
As another good test, I ran /usr/games/worms (which does lots of
high-speed screen updates) and the worms go fast enough to blur into
one another.

I'm happy with it.

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
          "There's a New World Order coming every minute.