Subject: Re: How to make new boot floppy
To: paul@whooppee.com, #List NetBSD i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/03/1998 10:22:29
On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 10:06:02PM -0800, Charlie ROOT wrote:
> I'm guessing that I also have to somehow get my new customized INSTALL
> kernel stuffed into the boot.fs image on the install floppy.  But I have
> no idea how to do that.  I'm guessing it has something to do with using
> mdconfig or mdsetimage (or maybe both), but the man pages on these are
> pretty spartan.
>
> Any help at all will be appreciated - I really don't want to have to
> spend hours (or even days) reinstalling Win98 on this PC, just to go and
> wipe it out with NetBSD.  :)

The INSTALL kernel comes with a ramdisk inside. You have recompiled the
install kernel, but not filled in the ramdisk with any information. To
do this, go to /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies, and do 'make'. You'll
find a file called boot.fs in the bootfloppy/ subdirectory. dd this image
onto a floppy and you have a new bootfloppy.

- Frank